Student Funding & Finance

Student Funding and Finance

Our Student Funding team can help you with any questions you might have about applying for funding, when you get your payments, eligibility for discretionary funds, childcare funds or anything else related to finance and funding while at college.

If you have any queries regarding student funding, call us on any of these numbers: 01387 734 240 or chat to us online between 8:45am – 4:30pm Mon – Fri.

Illustration of a young man throwing money at an oversized credit card

Applying for SAAS Funding

This video from SAAS outlines the main eligibility criteria you have to meet to be able to claim SAAS funding. They also explain what funding you may be able to receive throughout the duration of your course. You can view more of their guides using the links below.

If you need any advice or help applying for SAAS funding please talk to the student advisers.

Council Tax Exemption

If you are a full-time student you may be eligible for an exemption from paying your council tax or a reduction in your council tax. The decision will be up to the Council, but we can help you by providing you with your application, usually called a “Council Tax Disregard”.

You can only apply for this once you are enrolled and in attendance (either in person or virtually).

There is an overnight job that runs after you have been marked in attendance on a register, so the next day you should be able to download it from your account.

Illustration of a person filing an oversized form into an oversized folder.

The form confirms that you are a student enrolled on a full-time course, and the address that you supplied to us on your application or enrolment.

You then need to print this out and add to it the information the College doesn’t know about your household but which the Council will need.

You need to fill in the liable person (the person the Council Tax is billed to, this could be you, or your parent or guardian for example), and the names and ages of the other people who live at your home.

If you have any issues with finding the form or need help filling it out please contact Student Records

Childcare Funds

All students may apply for assistance with registered childcare costs regardless whether studying on a full-time or part-time basis.

These awards are subject to household means-testing – support cannot be offered where the household income exceeds £30,000.

Illustration of a woman and a child at a window looking at buildings and trees.

Discretionary Funding

These are funds provided by the Scottish Funding Council and Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) to assist students who may otherwise be prevented from commencing or continuing with their studies. Students would normally have already applied for Bursary / SAAS funding prior to applying to this ‘top up’ fund. These awards are subject to household means-testing – support cannot be offered where the household income exceeds £30,000.

Bursary and Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)

Our Student Funding Team have put together a helpful FAQ for Bursaries and the Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA).

All students who have been offered a place on a course will be sent a link to apply for their funding online. Please ensure your email address is your own (not shared) and up to date as this is how we will communicate with you.

Illustration of a young man in casual clothing looking at his reflection wearing a business suit.

Part Time Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)

If you are studying on a part time basis you may be eligible for EMA support of £30 per week. Study / travel costs are not part of this award.

To qualify you must be under 18 at the start date of the course, studying a part time non advanced course, not already receiving an EMA for a full-time course and living with a parent or guardian.

How to apply: If you think you may be eligible please contact a member of the Student Funding Team to request an application form

Reporting Absences

If you are in receipt of any Student Funding payment administered by the College e.g. EMA, Bursary, Discretionary, Childcare funds, you should complete an Absence Self Certificate Form either on the day you are absent or as soon after as possible. You have 7 days to submit your absence form.

You can read our guide online to find out how to submit your absences on LearnNet.

Student Funding FAQ’s

Attending College may mean you are eligible for funding. To find out, you should apply as early as possible once you have been offered a place on your course.

In case you are unsure of what to do next, here’s a few of our most frequently asked questions to help you get started….